Plum Oat Muffins and Chocolate Tahini Cake!

Nom nom nom! I veganized the muffin recipe from a nutrition buyer's guide given out by a local health food store, Mustard Seed Market. That place rules.



Plum Oat Muffins

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup oats (orig. called for bran)
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 t five-spice powder

1 cup diced plum (about 1 large)
1/2 cup applesauce (equals 2 eggs)
2/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup canola oil
2 T agave nectar
1 cup soy milk
1 t vanilla extract



I gave most of these out as gifts for various family birthdays. I was sick at the time I made these, so couldn't accurately tell if they tasted great or not. The plums did give them a nice moistness and delicate tart.


This is a Chocolate Tahini Cake I made for my friend's last day at work. To me, it tasted like straight cocoa. I wasn't a fan. To dress it up I made a frosting: I microwaved some vegan chocolate chips, adding some peanut butter and microwaving it again until it was creamy. To thin it out a little, I added a few splashes of soy milk and then poured the concoction on top of the sliced cake. And, of course: fresh strawberries = bomb. It was a success the next day, and for that I'm glad. Not sure if I'd ever use the recipe again. I might just stick to using tahini in delicious hummus. :P

Labels: