Thanksgiving and Celebrating Compassion Gala '08!


I had the loveliest of Thanksgivings this year. It was my first Thanksgiving as a vegan and my first Vegan Thanksgiving! :D Here's a photo from a dying camera of my family in front of their spread. I wish I had taken more pictures, but I was very busy! Another first, this was my first year doing all the cooking! Here's our menu:










Thanksgiving 2008
Butternut Squash Bisque w/ Cashew Cream (adapted from VeganYumYum)
Garlic Stuffed Olives
Caramelized Onion Spread w/ French bread
Skillet Cornbread (from VCON)
Meatless Meatballs Italiano (from previous post!)
Stuffing w/ Homemade Gravy
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Steamed Green Beans (which were forgotten :()
Mashed Potatoes

Herb Roasted Carrots
Cranberry Relish w/ Walnuts
Vegan Pumpkin Roll
Homemade Apple Pie (made by PoorCollegeVegan!)



This past weekend was the Mercy For Animals Celebrating Compassion Gala '08 in Columbus. It was a wonderful time! I went with PoorCollegeVegan's Olivia (my bestie). We drove down and first visited Street Food, a small restaurant next to Dragonfly that specializes in food you'd find from street vendors all around the world. And it was delicious.



Very cute interior.



Here's Liv enjoying her curry vegetable empanada!



Here I am loving my portabella v-steak (like a Philly cheesesteak!)!



The Celebrating Compassion Gala was a wonderful time. They had a silent auction going on (Liv almost won a beautiful piece of artwork!) and scrumptious vegan hors d'oeuvres to accompany a heartstring-tugging award ceremony. The picture to the left is Master of Ceremonies and acclaimed musician Kyle Vincent. He's pretty frickin' awesome. :) It was indescribable to be in a room filled with people who are so passionate about the same things as I am... I wish I were surrounded by that many vegans every day! :D










Labels: ,