Vegan MoFo: Butternut Bisque and Mock Duck!


One of my favorite autumn recipes is Vegan Yum Yum's Delicata Squash Bisque - subbing butternut for delicata. It's so creamy and rich and really hits the spot when you want a warm and filling meal. Let me tell you, peeling and halving that butternut is a bitch and a half, but the end result is so effing worth it:


All blended up in the Vita-Mix, this soup was so easy to whip up (after nearly dislocating my shoulder trying to carve that damned squash). Look at those cashew cream drizzles! I had my mom and brother over for lunch today & it was the first time my mom had tried the recipe - and it went over well!


I also prepared the Citrus Ginger Dressing in the Vita-Mix cookbook which was pretty good...


And this would be my baby girl giving her Uncle Al some smooches (probably smelling the bisque on his breath!). :)


Whaaa?! That's right! For dinner tonight I went to a swanky new Thai/Sushi restaurant downtown, Cilantro, which had pages of different Asian-inspired dishes, including an impressive vegetarian section. And I was so excited to see mock duck on the menu! After double checking to make sure it was vegan and the red curry sauce had no fish sauce in it I ordered away - and was VERY pleased!


My camera pics from the restaurant were far too dark, so here's a leftover shot! Now, I've never tasted authentic duck before, so I can't say much about the similarity between the two, but damn... this was delicious. It tasted a bit like a mixture between seitan and tofu and was just the right texture so that it wasn't too creepy or too chewy. I'll definitely be ordering this again! :D Oh, and I ordered a Thai Pear Martini, which had pear and lychee liquor - a very interesting and fragrant beverage! I'm very pleased to have finally experienced a bit of the Asian mock meat foods.

Labels: , , ,