Creamy Spinach Chorizo Pasta10:11 PM
Is there anything more comforting than a bowl of creamy pasta goodness? I don't think so. This week, armed with a package of soy chorizo, I thought of throwing together something spicy and satisfying. My first thought was stuffed peppers, but that's a lot of work for my lazy ass. What's easier than pasta?
I had some fresh, local jalepenos on hand to throw into the mix as well, which added needed crunch and spice to this already complex dish. I'd suggest experimenting with different ingredients!
Creamy Spinach Chorizo Pasta
1 box whole wheat rotini pasta
1 pkg soy chorizo (I used Helen's Kitchen, yum)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 jalepenos, diced (optional)
3-4 c fresh spinach, torn into chunks
1 batch quick cashew cream (see recipe)
Quick Cashew Cream (approx. measurements)
1 c raw cashews
4-5 T lemon juice
1/2 c water
- Bring water to a boil for the pasta. Cook and drain.
- Saute diced pepper & onion in a small amount of oil (or water) for a few minutes in a large pan. Add the chorizo and jalepenos & cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Make the cashew cream: In high speed blender or food processor combine cashews, lemon juice, and *just enough* water to cover the cashews. Blend on high speed until creamy.
- Add cashew cream to chorizo mixture and mix thoroughly. Add water as needed to reach creamy consistency. Add torn spinach and cook until mixture is heated through.
- Add pasta, mix, and enjoy! Makes about 5 servings.
This was a really delicious meal. It's not terribly spicy, but you could definitely play with the heat. Also, add all of the veggies your heart desires! <3 div="div">3>