Vegan MoFo: Homemade Tempeh Bacon

9:35 PM

If you're a seasoned veg*n you've experienced the magical beauty of tempeh bacon. With its own unique combination of nutty/smoky/salty/sweet flavors it is a perfect accompaniment to TLTs, tofu scrambles, casseroles, or any brunch worth attending. If you're new to veg*n food, this is the post for you! There are a couple different tempeh bacons on the market now and work so very well for convenience.

Unfortunately, for my Whole Life Challenge, I am unable to consume some of the processed and soy ingredients found in the marinades used in these products. So, what's a gal to do? Make her own! After searching for a tweakable recipe online I concocted my own gluten-free, sugar-free tempeh bacon recipe.

The secret behind these strips is Coconut Secret's Coconut Aminos - an excellent alternative to soy sauce which boasts more amino acids than other soy-based products. It is made from sap from the coconut tree. I recommend giving it a try! Behold:

Gluten & Sugar Free Tempeh Bacon

1 block of tempeh, cut into thin strips
2 tbs Coconut Aminos
1-2 tbs peanut oil
1 tsp stevia
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper

  • Combine marinade ingredients and coat tempeh strips well. Let sit for at least 5-10 minutes.
  • Heat a pan with peanut oil on medium heat and saute the strips on each side for about 3-5 minutes, or until browned.
  • Enjoy!

I served these puppies up for breakfast with savory mashed sweet potatoes with onions, rosemary, and thyme. Yum! How do you tempeh?

You Might Also Like


  1. Mmm, tempeh bacon is so tasty! I haven't tried coconut aminos, but I'd like to add it to my pantry after hearing your raves for it. I don't have a problem with tamari, but it would be nice to have an alternative every now and again.


Like us on Facebook