In the mood for a crunchy, salty, savory, sinful-feeling snack? You and I are going to be great friends. Being a huge lover of comfort foods like pizza I jumped on the chance to try local brand Good'n'Raw kale chips. Based in Lakewood, OH, this company describes its mission to be "To increase the potential of humanity naturally, with nutritious, living foods".
They have 5 different types of kale chips that I've seen: Pizza, Chizee, Sesame, BBQ, and Ranch. Each container runs btwn. $8.50 and $10, so they're a rare treat. I took home the Pizza and Chizee flavors and was BLOWN AWAY. Each was so fantastic and complex and tasted sooooo naughty. But, with kale as the base and whole, nutrient-packed ingredients as they flavoring these morsels are a healthy treat.
Wanting to replicate the taste of the Pizza kale chips I created a recipe of my own, which I would like to share. Behold!
Pizza Kale Chips
1 bunch kale, rinsed & torn into chunks
1 container grape or cherry tomatoes
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
spices to taste: garlic powder, basil, thyme, oregano, salt, black pepper.
- Heat stove to 350 degrees
- Rub baking tray with olive oil and spread tomatoes out. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Lower oven temp to 200 degrees.
- Mix tomatoes and other ingredients (except kale) in high-speed blender until creamy.
- In large bowl mix kale chunks with the paste until completely covered.
- Spread onto as many as 3 lined baking sheets (w/ foil or parchment paper), making sure to leave some space between the kale so it will cook more quickly. Place baking sheets in oven and leave oven door slightly ajar.
- Check kale every 30 minutes or so, turning the pieces and removing any that have become perfectly crispy. Continue checking until all kale is crispy (btwn 2 & 3 hours). Do not immediately store or else kale will become soggy!
You will not regret making these and I wouldn't be surprised if they disappeared in a day! So tasty. What's your favorite way to prepare kale?
Labels: recipes, Vegan MoFo 2012, Whole Life Challenge