Post-Holiday Post

7:23 PM

Oh, my. It has been quite a while since I have posted. My most sincere apologies, friends. Let's get back into the swing of things, shall we? Seeing as I have not recounted my wonderful holiday feasts, let's start there!

For my fifth annual vegan Thanksgiving (yay!) I had my immediate family over once more. I absolutely love that time of year... spending quality time with my entire family all at once is a rarity. All of us gathering to enjoy some cruelty-free food is truly a blessing. And this year was no different when it came to the quantity and quality of said feast!

We started with an appetizer: Hot Caramelized Bacon-Onion Dip. This stuff is positively sinful. So gooey-creamy-smokey-cheesy-sweet... I'm gaining weight just thinking about it. HIGHLY recommended for those occasions when calories are not being counted.

To be super-decadent, try dipping my mom's Mini Daiya-Cheddar Chive Biscuits in this magical concoction. Trust me.

Here's what our plates looked like - clockwise from top: maple-dijon roasted brussels, spring mix salad with pecans, dried cranberries, and a maple-dijon vinaigrette, homemade cranberry sauce (made by my mama), sour cream & chive mashed potatoes, Gardein Holiday Roast with gravy, Isa's green bean mushroom casserole.

A wonderful combination of tastes and textures. I was originally hoping to find the individual serving Gardein Stuff'd Turk'ys, yet there were nowhere to be found - the Holiday Roast was everywhere, however. I decided to give it a try and was satisfied, yet I believe my omni family may not have enjoyed the unusual texture as much as I did. The breaded version is much tastier. Nevertheless, I recommend giving the Holiday Roast a try! You'll have many leftovers.

You wanna know what this is? Oh, I'll tell ya... it's a god damned Speculoos Maple Pecan Cheesecake. Did you hear me? SPECULOOS MAPLE PECAN CHEESECAKE. In our faces. Amazing recipe - very creamy, very sweet... my omni step-dad absolutely raved about it - and he usually isn't a big fan of sweets!

A religious experience.

My mom hosted a second Thanksgiving meal so the menfolk could have their traditional dishes, yet she lovingly included a buttload of vegan foods for me: stuffing, more cranberry sauce, green beans, brussels, sweet potatoes with candied fruit, mashed potatoes. And, yes, wine. Fantastic!

For our Christmas Eve extended family gathering I brought my usual noms: spinach dip with pumpernickel bread.

Vegan baklava, bitches! An annual favorite.

I also tried my hand at making homemade hummus with dried chickpeas, using a crock-pot. It was a fantastic success and I vow to never, ever make hummus with canned beans again. The recipe still needs a little tweaking (less tahini, more garlic), but I was quite proud of the result.

Happy belated Holidays, everyone. There will be more posts to come, promise!

You Might Also Like


  1. Can we have the recipe and method for crock-pot hummus? I have a recipe but it never tastes as good as the store bought kind.


Like us on Facebook