Vegan MoFo: Apple Cinnamon Sundae from Special Guest Vegan Yack Attack!7:42 PM
Hello, bloggers! Behold, the final Freaky Friday guest post of MoFo 2013 on Vegan Noms. Today I bring you a spectacular post from Jackie of Vegan Yack Attack! Just look at those photos, are you drooling yet?!
Hi Everyone! My name is Jackie, and I’m the blogger behind Vegan Yack Attack. Firstly, I just wanted to thank Katie for having me as a guest blogger for her Freaky Friday theme, today. Such a fun idea! I’ve been cookin’ up vegan mac ‘n’ cheese all month on my blog, so it is very nice to get a break and show you this awesome dessert recipe that’s perfect for fall.
Calling this a sundae may be a teeny bit of a stretch, but hey, there’s ice cream and fruit and it’s sweet, so I think it fits the bill. Clearly, this ain’t your average sundae, and it may even be slightly healthier, to boot! You have your homemade ice cream sweetened with coconut sugar and apple chunks, with a helping of cinnamon. Then there are the baked honey crisp apples that are so warm and sweet.
Basically, it’s like a crustless apple pie a la mode! I assure you, the crust is not missed in this case (Sorry, crust!). The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the ice cream to set up! You’re more than welcome to make the ice cream sweeter, but I feel that it balances perfectly with the caramelized apple-bowl.
- 1- 13.5 oz. Can of Light Coconut Milk
- 1- 13.5 oz. Can of Full-fat Coconut Milk
- ¼ C. Coconut Sugar (Add 1-2 T. More if you like it sweeter)
- 1 ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Sea Salt
- 8 Medium-Sized Honey Crisp Apples
- 2 T. Chopped Pecans for Garnish
- Sprinkle of Coconut Sugar for Garnish
- Place the coconut milks, coconut sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt into a blender. Puree until completely smooth, then chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- If you have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into the maker and run until it is thicker than soft serve (or frozen yogurt).
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a Ziploc bag and wait until it freezes completely. Then break the mixture into chunks and puree them in a food processor until smooth.
- Core the apples, but try to leave the bottom ¼” of apple there, so that there is not a leaky hole. (Ewwww) ;)
- Then, cut a funnel-like shape out of the top of the apples to make them like a bowl. Save half of the extra apple, and dice it.
- Fold the apple chunks into the ice cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Put the ice cream mixture back into the freezer to firm it up a bit, while you bake the apples.
- Place the apples in a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until they have softened and browned a little.
- Take the apples out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, and then scoop the ice cream on top of each one. Garnish with pecans and coconut sugar.
Serious YUM! Be sure to visit Vegan Yack Attack and say hello to Jackie before you retire from MoFo exhaustion!