Vegan MoFo: Guest Post by Bianca of Vegan Crunk - and a Retro Recipe!


It's Freaky Friday, everyone! This first week, I introduce to you a post from my dear, sweet, kickass blogger-bestie, Bianca. And she's sharing a recipe from her upcoming cookbook! Could not be more excited that we are swapping today! Enjoy. :)

Hi Mofo-ers!! It’s Bianca here from Vegan Crunk! Katie is like my Vida Vegan Con bestie, so I was super-duper excited when she asked me to do a Freaky Friday blog post swap.


Hell, if it hadn’t been for Katie, I’d have probably forgotten to sign up for Mofo again this year. I’m the world’s worst at remembering things. Thankfully, awesome-ass Katie saved the day. We spent so much time together in Portland this past May, and I can’t wait until next Vida Vegan Con so we can stuff our faces and then whine about our food babies together. That’s what vegan friends are for!

If you’re not familiar with me, I blog over at Vegan Crunk, a “daily eats”-style food blog where I post everything from recipes to product reviews to pictures of vegan potlucks and parties. I published a vegan soul food cookbook last year called Cookin’ Crunk: Eatin’ Vegan in the Dirty South. And now I’m working on my next project — retro vegan recipes from the 20th Century.

The recipe I’ll be sharing today is from that cookbook project. It’s September now, and although the weather won’t cool down for two more months where I live (Memphis, Tenn! Holla!), it’s almost officially fall. And that means steamy bowls of soup on chilly afternoons. 



This Cream of Tomato Soup was adapted from an old 1960s cookbook devoted to vegetable dishes. It’s best served with a vegan grilled cheese.


Cream of Tomato Soup
(Adapted from the Better Homes & Gardens Vegetable Cookbook)
Yields 4 cups

1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. agave nectar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
2 Tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened soymilk

Be sure to drop by Vegan Crunk and show Bianca some love!


Labels: , ,