Summertime isn't when you'll usually find the most motivation to stir up a hot bowl of soup, yet when there's asparagus involved… anything is possible. Having bitten the bullet and overpaid for a large bag of the green stalks of wonder, I had a hankering for some creamy and lightly spiced soup.
Typically, I follow recipes for such endeavors, but taking a chance with whatever ingredients were on hand proved to be successful! I had initially wanted to make a cashew cream, but my cashews were rancid… rice milk and Leahey Garden's powdered cheese sauce were an excellent substitute.
Creamy Asparagus Soup
approx. 1-2 lb asparagus, trimmed
1 white onion, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 tsp crushed red pepper
1-2 cups rice milk
1/3 cup Leahey Garden's powdered cheesy sauce mix (or comparable mix)
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in large stock pot and sauté onions and asparagus until tender. Add garlic at the very end and sauté it a little longer.
- Add crushed red pepper and cheese sauce mix.
- Slowly add rice milk until you reach desired consistency.
- Blend with immersion blender until creamy (or leave a few chunks of asparagus for a chowder-style soup).
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
What kinds of soups do you enjoy during the hot summer months?