Summer Pasta Delights

9:32 PM

Why, hello there! I really have no excuse for not posting recently, other than vegging out and enjoying my summer. But, I do have some delicious updates to pass along! Even a recipe or two! Let's start with my latest purchase from Vegan Cuts.

I bring to you: Parmela, the most recent addition to the world of vegan parms. It boasts an impressive natural ingredients list which lend that authentic parmesan bite. Vegan Cuts was offering a great price on two shakers a few weeks ago and I couldn't resist!

First, the classic marinara atop al dente pasta had to be attempted. Is there any other way to really test a vegan parm's authenticity? The taste was different than my usual sprinkling of nooch, yet satisfying. The stuff did have a bit of a bite, but not in the distantly familiar way original parmesan does. It was different, it was tasty - it's a great addition to my growing spice cupboard. I might prefer Parma! brand, because that's what I'm used to, although my testing did not stop here!

Next I topped my favorite pasta dish with Parmela: Creamy Miso Alfredo. This dish begs for another layer of bite to match the most subtle pungent miso undertones. This was a better match and is something I will try again. I am most looking forward to reusing the adorable shakers, too! (Nerd.)

My pasta fever did not end there - oh, no. After visiting my first farmer's market of the season (YAY) the need to use up some rainbow chard and garlic scapes blossomed into a spicy soba noodle dish, which I will share with you:

Soba Noodles with Swiss Chard and Garlic Scape Pesto

2 bundles of soba noodles
1/2 bunch of Swiss chard, chopped
3-4 cups of fresh spinach
6-8 garlic scapes, chopped
2-3 T toasted sesame oil
2 T soy sauce or Bragg's
2 T sesame seeds
1 t red chili flakes

1. Boil water for soba noodles. Cook and set aside (soba noodles cook very quickly).
2. Heat pan to medium low with 1 T of toasted sesame oil. Add chard and soy sauce/Bragg's and toss frequently.
3. In a food processor pulse garlic scapes with spinach. Slowly add remaining sesame oil, scraping down sides, until you have a fragrant pesto.
4. Once chard is wilted in the pan, remove from heat and add to soba noodles in a large bowl. Toss with pesto. Plate and top with sesame seeds. Serves 3.

If you haven't cooked with garlic scapes, I highly recommend it. They look like thick chives with a small bulb at the end and are *very* garlicky - a little goes a long way, so this pesto isn't for the weak! What are your favorite impromptu farmer's market meals?

You Might Also Like


  1. oh my gosh those pasta dishes are making me hungry!! they look delicious! yum!

  2. KT, better stop over at my blog. A little surprise has been waiting for a few weeks now :)


Like us on Facebook